Facebook Pixel Noscript
Transfer Students


Let us take the mystery out of the enrollment process.


Transfer Students

Transfer Admission

FM is a great place to continue to pursue your degree.  The following information reviews various ways in which students earn college credit and how to pursue a credit evaluation.

Contact Transfer Admissions

Andrea Scribner
518-736-3622 ext. 8161
Book a Virtual Meeting with Transfer Admissions


Methods of Earning Credit: Many students have accumulated college credit from other sources prior to enrolling at FM.  To have your other college work evaluated for transfer credit you must request official transcripts from all other colleges.  A maximum of 50% of degree or certificate requirements may be fulfilled through transfer credit.  Only courses applicable toward your degree or certificate will be accepted.

  • Transfer of Credit from Other Colleges: Ask the college you previously attended to send an official transcript to the FM Registrar’s Office.  Courses eligible for transfer must be from a regionally accredited college and must carry a grade of “C” or better.
  • College courses taken while still in high school, such as University in the High School or Project Advance: You must request the sponsoring college or university to send an official transcript to the FM Registrar’s Office.  You must have earned “C” or better in courses expected to qualify for college credit.
  • Credit by Examination: Credit may be granted for a passing score on externally administered examinations including but not limited to Advanced Placement (AP) or College Level Examination Program (CLEP).  You must arrange for an official score report to be sent to FM from the testing agency that administered the exam.  An AP score of 3 or higher generally is eligible for credit.
  • Military Education and Training: Students seeking credit for military education and training must request an official record of their military education be sent directly to the FM Registrar’s Office.  Examples of military education transcripts include the AARTS, SMART or CCAF transcripts.  The credit equivalencies recommended by the American Council on Education will be considered; however, FM will make the final determination of transferability.
  • Career and Technical Programs at Secondary Institutions: FM has written articulation agreements with Career and Technical centers such as the HFM BOCES or other secondary schools that enable students to enroll at FM and earn college credit. Contact your high school guidance office or technical teacher to request an articulation validation application. Applications are also available in the Academic Dean’s Office, Classroom Building Room C-207.
  • Experiential Learning: Experiential Learning Credit may be awarded for non-collegiate life experience that is educationally relevant and is equivalent to course content according to specific criteria. Students are responsible for documenting the experience and should contact the appropriate academic dean for further information no later than mid-term of the semester prior to the one in which credit is to be granted.

Appealing of Transfer Credit Evaluations:  When you transfer into any SUNY school you will receive a transcript evaluation as close to the time of admission as possible and will receive written information about the credits that were accepted for transfer. If you disagree with your credit evaluation, you have a right to submit an appeal. To do so, simply contact the Student Development Center at (518)736-3622 x8104 to schedule an appointment with an advisor or (if you have your login information) you can make an appointment through MyAppointment.

If there was an oversight or error you will be contacted by a representative of the Dean’s office with an update. If we need additional information about the course, you will be asked to obtain a course description or syllabus before a new evaluation can be completed. You will receive a new evaluation as soon as possible after we have received the necessary documentation to reevaluate your transcript.

SUNY Transfer Appeal Process

If you still do not agree with the college’s decision regarding the granting or placement of credit that you earned at a prior SUNY institution, or you have not received a response in 15 business days, you may appeal to the SUNY System Provost.  You can submit the appeal by filling out the student appeal form at http://www.suny.edu/provost/academic_affairs/studentform.cfm and sending it along with requested material via email to: TransferCredit@sysadm.suny.edu, or send via certified mail to:

Dr. David Lavallee
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
SUNY System Administration
One University Plaza
Albany, NY  12246


The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action.

If you have questions on this process, please contact Robert Kraushaar (email: Robert.Kraushaar@suny.edu).  The appeals process and necessary forms can also be accessed at the SUNY Provost website:http://www.suny.edu/provost/academic_affairs/studenttransferappeal.cfm).