Facebook Pixel Noscript
Steps to Enroll – Non-Matriculated Students


Excellent, affordable degree programs from a dedicated faculty.


Steps to Enroll – Non-Matriculated Students

Should you be a matriculated or non-matriculated student?

A matriculated student has been accepted for admission to the College, has registered in a major and is pursuing courses toward a degree or certificate. Students must maintain good academic standing to keep their matriculated status.

A non-matriculated student is one who has not yet been accepted for admission to the College or has lost matriculated status by not enrolling in coursework for one term. Courses taken by a non-matriculated student may later count toward a degree, however, the student will not be eligible for financial aid.

You may choose to be a non-matriculated student for various reasons including:

  • To transfer credit back to the college where you are seeking a degree
  • To take college classes for pleasure or personal enrichment
  • To upgrade job skills
  • To try out college before deciding if you want to get a degree

You do not need to apply for admission to FM if you are not seeking a degree at the present time. If you wish to become a matriculated student, visit the Admissions Office homepage for more information.

How to Enroll in Classes as a Non-Matriculated Student:

Choose the course(s) you want to take:

  • Visit the FM website for a schedule of classes. Make a note of the Course Number and Section, Course Name, and semester in which the course is offered. You are expected to meet all course pre-requisites prior to enrolling. Review the course description to see if the class has any pre-requisites. In certain cases you may be asked to provide evidence that you have met a course pre-requisite. Enrollment in mathematics or English classes requires a placement examination or submission of college/high school transcripts showing that you are academically prepared to take the course.
  • Review information about FM’s online (web-based) courses before registering for online classes.
  • If you need help selecting a class you should call the Student Development Center at 518-736-FMCC (3622) x8140 to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.
  • If you intend to take a course at FM with the purpose of transferring the credit to another school, you should get permission from an academic advisor, department chair or the registrar at your school. The home institution determines if the course meets your graduation requirements.

Enroll in the course(s) you want to take:

  • If you know exactly what course(s) you want to take, you can typically sign up for courses by telephone at 518-736-FMCC (3622) x8700. You may also enroll in person at the Registrar’s Office in the Administration Building (Room N-107) during normal business hours. See the Registrar homepage for office hours.
  • Students who are enrolling past the tuition payment due date will be expected to make payment in full at the time of registration.
  • New York State residents who submit valid proof of New York State residency qualify for in-state tuition rates. A new Certificate of Residence is required for each academic year. A Certificate of Residence application is available online or in the Bursar’s Office. Each certificate must be notarized according to the instructions on the certificate. Notaries are available in the Bursar’s Office.

How much does it cost to take classes?

  • FM’s Tuition and Fees Schedule describes cost, payment deadlines and polices.
  • The Registrar’s Office can give you a general idea of your costs when you enroll in classes but the Bursar’s Office is responsible for sending you a bill after enrollment.

What if I change my mind or my plans change?

  • Registered students who are not planning to attend must officially withdraw from college through the Student Development Center (N-107 or 518-736-FMCC x8140). Refunds and/or tuition and fee reductions will be made according to the SUNY Tuition Refund Policy based on the effective date of withdrawal.