Facebook Pixel Noscript

Remembering the Veterans in our own lives

Posted: November 6, 2020 — I think most of us would agree that 2020 has been a challenging year, to say the least.  Many have been personally affected by the pandemic, some losing loved ones and friends and others struggling with financial hardships or having to arrange employment around children going to a remote school environment in the home.

FM, as well, had to adjust to ensure the safety of staff and students. Being an academic advisor for almost 15 years now, this is by far the “weirdest” semester that any of us have ever experienced. The first week of classes is normally full of energy with the bustling students in and out offices and classes.  They’re changing majors, changing classes, some having minor meltdowns – but we’re there to help.  What I miss the most this semester though is seeing those 2nd year students come back and stop in just to say hello and tell me how their summer vacation had gone.  I especially miss seeing our student Veterans on campus, eating and laughing in the Student Veteran Lounge, catching up with each other and welcoming in the new Veterans to FM.  I know we are all looking forward to one day (hopefully soon) being back to more normal times.

Usually, November 1st on campus is the kick off to a month of different Veteran and Military events for our students and staff to enjoy.  Although we can’t meet in person this year, FM would like to thank not only our students and staff who have served for our country, but we also want to recognize our community members as well.  Thank you greatly for your service, past and present, and may you and your families stay safe and well this year.

Every year, on November 11th, Americans celebrate and honor Veterans for their bravery and sacrifice.  Formerly known as Armistice Day, Veterans Day was originally declared a U.S. holiday to honor the end of World War I, taking place on November 11, 1918.

As we visited the FM Vietnam Memorial on campus, Dan Towne (FM Veteran Club Advisor and Librarian) remarked the following.  “Being a Veteran is a special part of who I am. It’s not that people acknowledge you and say ‘Thank you for your service’. It’s more personal than that for me. Most people outside of my family and friends don’t even know I served. It’s knowing, for myself, that I have had experiences as a service member that shaped me; maybe in some way benefited others and contributed to the national good. I think most Veterans feel the same.”

Consider visiting the Vietnam Memorial at FM during the month of November, located in the visitor lot, next the 9/11 Memorial. The Memorial lists the names of the 37 men from Fulton and Montgomery Counties who were killed in the Vietnam War. And please, honor a Veteran in your life this week by saying Thank You for Your Service.

Any Veterans, spouses, or dependents of Veterans who are eligible for education benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs, can find more information on our website; www.fmcc.edu/admissions/military-veterans/   Or call our Admissions office at 518-736-FMCC(3622) ext. 8301 to set up a campus visit and tour.

This article was written by Christie Davis, Academic Advisor/Early Admission Liaison and Club Advisor to the Veteran’s Club on the FM campus. 

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.