Facebook Pixel Noscript

Consider a Career in Health Information Management

Posted: November 20, 2018 — Everywhere you go today people are talking about the benefits of selecting a career in healthcare, but maybe direct patient care is not for you.  You can still play an important role in the healthcare system and learn valuable skills that are fundamental to successful patient care and health records management.

The Health Information Records Management Associates Degree at Fulton Montgomery Community College gives you the skills you need to pursue a successful career in healthcare. In Addition, the program requirements contain the necessary courses to prepare you to take the medical coding certification exam. Health Information Records Management program course work includes medical terminology, medical insurance, essentials of anatomy and physiology, and medical coding, all the course work needed to prepare for the coding exam. The program, also provides valuable coursework in medical office procedures, introduction to patient care, advanced MS Word, integrated software applications and an internship that will provide valuable skills for today’s medical office.

The program features small classes. Working with a small cohort of fellow students you will experience the value of teamwork and can develop lifelong friendships.  One recent graduate shared the following thoughts about the program.  Betsy said” Going to FMCC has changed my life.  As an older student going back to school in my 40’s I was scared, I thought I would feel out of place and that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the work.  I am overjoyed to say that neither of these happened.  I went to FMCC for the Medical Administrative Assistant degree (now HIRM) and I was not the oldest. In fact, the program is very diverse. When I was having trouble, I could go to the professors and they always helped me.  I had a job before graduation! I LOVE my new job!  I would highly recommend FMCC to anyone.  Thank you FMCC for giving me the tools to have a career I love.”

If healthcare is not your passion but you want to work in a busy office setting, FMCC can help with that too.  Our Administrative Assistant program is perfect for the person who wants a challenging office or administrative career in a wide range of office environments.  The program builds not only your skills but your confidence.  A graduate, Alayne, Executive Administrative Assistant, had this to say, “Not only did my degree from FMCC lead me where I am now, but the teachers and professors provided me with the confidence I needed to be successful throughout life.”

Both degree programs are designed to develop the technology and administrative skills employers are looking for. The hands-on classroom lessons and activities provide students with real-world practice including proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and Outlook, and Business Math Applications using the latest MS Excel program. Other courses include Business Communication, Web Design, and Sales and Customer Relations Management. In addition, both programs include the opportunity for an internship.

The faculty are in touch with employers on an annual basis to find out what careers and occupations are in demand and what critical work-based skills are expected of new employees.

Sound interesting? Fulton Montgomery Community College is ready to help you. Call today at (518) 736-FMCC or visit our website at FMCC.edu and our admissions office will help you get started!

This article was written by Charlene Dybas, Assistant Professor, Business at FM

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.