Facebook Pixel Noscript

A Heartfelt Message from Student to Professor

Posted: June 5, 2018 — by Amy Radik

Candice Miller, FNP

Candice Miller, MSN, APRN, FNP-C

Fulton-Montgomery Community College faculty receive updates and emails from former students all the time. However, some of these updates truly affirm that what they do matters – teach, listen, and support their students.   Following is an update to Robert Warner, Director of Nursing at FM, from a former student:

Dear Mr. Warner, My name is Candice Miller (Blackwood).  I was enrolled in your program right out of high school.  I did not do well and failed my second semester.  I took some time off, reapplied, and was grateful that you gave me a second chance.  I graduated with my Associate’s Degree in Nursing in 2008.  I wanted to thank you for that second chance – that opportunity changed my life.  I worked for several years as a floor nurse, then in the post-anesthesia care unit, then the Cath Lab, and finally in the Emergency Room.  I am excited to tell you that I completed my Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) in August, and have been working family practice for the past few months.  I wanted to express my gratitude for everything that you and your staff have done not only for me, but for your past students, current students, and will continue to do for future students.  I know that sometimes it’s easy to forget how much impact you have on a person’s life, but I will forever be indebted to you.  I wanted to share my story with you, and let you know that your foundation of nursing has led me through this incredible journey.  It’s hard to believe that a second semester fail out could be successful and earn their Master of Science in Nursing, but I am glad you gave me that chance to do so.  I hope this letter provides you with a sense of value and fulfillment, and that you share my story. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Candice Miller MSN, APRN, FNP-C.

Candice also credits Marcia Wojcik, Assistant Professor in Nursing, with making an impact on her. “Professor Wojcik was the person that told me I failed my second semester – my first go round in Nursing. I knew that when she told me, it was as difficult for her to say as it was for me to hear. I think the compassion she had helped me see how much the instructors care and want you to succeed. She is one of the reasons that I reapplied, and was motivated to be successful in my second attempt,” says Candice.

Now living in Corpus Christi, Texas, Candice, who is the first and only college graduate in her family, says she has met her career goals. “As a Family Nurse Practitioner I feel very accomplished to have my own office with my degrees proudly hanging on the wall. It may seem boastful, but I’ve worked hard for my education and I am proud to display the results of my dedication.”

Candice reminds us that, “The time is going to pass, and there are always going to be bills to pay. Stop delaying your education for things that are out of your control. Once you have your degree, you are able to accomplish so much more in life, and no one can take that success away from you. FM is an awesome opportunity to get an education without putting yourself into a ton of debt. I am grateful to have started at FM.”

Amy Radik is the Coordinator of PR & Marketing at FM.

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.