Graduate High School with a College Degree!

July 29, 2014Amy Radik

Emily Spraggs is a 2014 graduate of both Broadalbin-Perth High School and Fulton-Montgomery Community College. She came to FM as an Early Admission student with no intentions on earning a degree from the College; however, once she realized she could earn enough credits to do so, she made a college degree her goal. She graduated this May with an A.A. degree in General Studies.

“I was fortunate to get to work with a good amount of faculty and staff,” says Emily. “Christie Crawford (Outreach and Support Representative) is exceptional! She helped make my FM experience great. She guided me to the right people and helped me make connections. She is the reason I came to FM in the first place. I worked for her at FM’s Summer Academy (kids’ camp) and she told me about the Early Admissions program. It sounded interesting and I was ready for a change. She got me excited about the program so I decided to try something new.”

The best part about FM for Emily was meeting new people. “There are so many international students as well as students from the City, it is not the typical community college,” she says. “From high school, where we have been with the same students everyday for the past decade, it was refreshing to be able to work with so many different people. I really enjoyed talking to others and hearing the stories from such a variety of walks of life. The faculty is great as well. They really care about the students, and develop an atmosphere where we can have fun while learning in class. Also, Zumba is pretty awesome there, too.”

While at FM, Emily was vice president of the Community Outreach Club and a member of Phi Theta Kappa. At high school, Emily was in the drama program, Odyssey of the Mind, STEM club, and National Honor Society. From the three year science research course at BP, she discovered she wanted to pursue the medical field.

“Integrating traditional medicine in western medicine is interesting as well as third world medicine or public health,” says Emily. “I will be attending Hobart and William Smith College this fall as a transfer student instead of a freshman, which is very cool.” She will major in biology in the pre-health studies.

Emily lives in Gloversville, with her parents, Beth and Jeremy. Jeremy is an Instructor at FM and was fortunate to hand Emily her diploma at this year’s Commencement. “It was an honor to present Emily’s diploma to her,” says Jeremy. “Broadalbin-Perth gave her the opportunity to take courses for college credit while FM gave her the opportunity to be an Early Admission student. FM opened so many doors for her to experience different activities and build relationships with people with such a variety of backgrounds. Emily worked hard, made some great friends at FM (both students and staff), and she made a lot of people proud!”

“The Early Admission program is a great way to change things up and kind of step into college,” says Emily. “I think it is very smart to get a degree from FM and then transfer to a four-year institution. Financially you save a lot, and it lets you explore different areas to study. We are fortunate to have FM in our area.”

Amy Radik is Coordinator of Public Relations & Marketing.

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.