Weekend College Program Offered through FM/SUNY Cobleskill

April 3, 2014

Elaine Santiago

Elaine Santiago

FM has teamed up with SUNY Cobleskill to provide a Bachelor of Business Administration degree; a weekend college program offering Saturday classes on both FM and SUNY Cobleskill campuses. The program is designed to prepare students with the knowledge and skills needed to broaden their technical expertise and enable them to become more effective managers in technology-focused organizations.

The degree provides seamless transfer opportunities for students with A.A.S. degrees in Business Administration, or 60 equivalent credits, with no significant credit loss. It is the perfect fit for those students who are looking for an accessible face-to-face program that fits with career and family responsibilities.

Current student, Elaine Santiago, says although she has been on a long educational path, this weekend program is the perfect fit for her. “I grew up in New York City and moved to Amsterdam to be with my family,” she states. “I attended FM but was not able to finish my degree due to, as the saying goes, ‘life happening.’ Formal education took a back seat once I became a single parent. After many years of working in the capacity of an office administrator, I decided to go back to college.”

Santiago explained that after her husband came home from active duty in the military, she needed to find a job. “I needed to be free during the typical nine to five work day and work on my degree during the evenings or weekends,” she explained. “SUNY Cobleskill offered me this option. I only need to give up one weekend day and have the rest of the week to balance work, studies, and life. The pace is the same as if I were attending full-time day classes. I will complete the program at the same time as if I were attending the traditional day program.”

When asked what she likes best about the program, Santiago says the non-traditional schedule. She states, “Although the 8 weeks may be a bit intense, it is only 15 weeks and then you are done with the semester; you have your summers off! The schedules allows you to work full-time, have a personal life, and complete your degree. What more can you ask for!”

During her personal time, Santiago enjoys spending time volunteering and helping others. “As a military wife, I believe it is important to give back to others. I am an advocate for people with disabilities. I take pleasure in gardening and inspiring others.”

Currently a Consumer Relations Representative at Beech-Nut, Santiago strives to earn an MBA and become a Business Development Manager. She would also love to be an adjunct college professor one day.

Beginning fall 2014, SUNY Cobleskill will be offering this program during week day evenings. For details regarding the Bachelor of Business Administration Weekend College program, contact FM’s Education and Career Planning Specialist Andrea Scribner at (518) 736-FMCC (3622), ext. 8161 or SUNY Cobleskill’s PACE Office at (518) 255-5528.

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.