Grad Classes Thankful for Support

May 16, 2013

TRIO Students

TRIO Students

Fulton-Montgomery Community College announced a total of 485 candidates for graduation this Friday, May 17 including 31 students from the Nursing program, 11 students from the Radiologic Technology Program, and 39 students from the TRIO program. Although three separate groups, many of these students worked daily with one another sharing similar classes and taking advantage of support services offered through FM such as TRIO SSS. TRIO is funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and participants, many of whom are first generation college students, receive academic and personal support such as one-on-one academic counseling and advice tailored to their needs. Significant to note, each of the 31 Nursing program graduates received support from the federally funded HEAL TH grant, a U.S. Department of Labor American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant. The HEALTH Grant was designed to assist unemployed and incumbent workers into the healthcare field. FM was ranked among the top five grantees across the nation.

Rad Tech Students

Rad Tech Students

Nursing Students

Nursing Students

“Being a part of the HEALTH grant has been amazing. This opportunity has changed my life and my family’s. I am not eligible for student loans because I have maxed out with another degree, a degree that has not enabled me to find a job. If it were not for the HEALTH grant I would not have been able to become a nurse. The support from the staff has been a huge bonus. Laura Lander, Coordinator of HEALTH Grant; Jean Karutis, Director of Grants and Grant Funded Programs; and Lacey Arduini, Achievement Advisor, were always available when I needed them for anything. They have done all they can to ensure my success as well as the success of my classmates. I am very grateful at the opportunity to be a part of the HEALTH grant and will never forget the hard work and dedication put into this program by the staff. I came into the program unable to find a job and I am leaving with a career providing more possibilities and options than I could have ever imagined!” stated Julie Murphy, FM Nursing Graduate, Class of 2013.

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.