For Jessica McCormick, There Was No Better Start than FM

April 30, 2013 — Amy Radik

Jessica McCormick, a graduate of Amsterdam High School, came to FM during her senior year and participated in the College’s Early Admission program. 

“The availability of the Early Admission program was the main reason I decided to begin my studies at FM, I liked the idea of getting a head start on my college education while finishing high school,” says Jessica.  “I also liked that the classes were small, the tuition was affordable, and transferring to another SUNY institution after finishing my degree would be simple.”

A general studies major, Jessica took many courses in criminal justice.  “I decided to keep my studies within the Liberal Arts and Sciences: General Studies program so that I could transfer more easily into any major should I change my area of interest upon moving on to a four-year school,” she says.  “However, I did take many criminal justice courses because I love helping people.  I knew that I wanted to be in a career where I would be making a difference in the community and a criminal justice focus had me heading in the right direction.  Once I took one course with Professor Paul Giudilli, I was hooked.  He taught with such passion that it was evident he had a great deal of real-world knowledge regarding the criminal justice subject matter.”

Enjoying the small classes and feeling as though she were a part of a close-knit family while on-campus, Jessica liked that she could easily get to know fellow students as well as all of her instructors.  Her friendships helped her to become more involved with campus activities.  She joined the Criminal Justice Club, the We All Unite Multi-Cultural Club, and was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, the national two-year college Honor Society.

After graduating from FM, Jessica earned a B.S. in Community and Human Services from SUNY Empire State College and a M.S. from the University of Cincinnati through their distance learning program. 

A resident of East Berne, New York, Jessica is currently employed as a crime analyst at the Albany Crime Analysis Center, which was her career goal after graduating with a Master’s degree.  She is a member of the International Association of Crime Analysis and a big fan of the arts.  “I enjoy all facets of art, even when I don’t have much time to spend doing it.  I love drawing, painting, and visiting museums,” says Jessica.

When speaking with Jessica about crime analysis, she says it’s nothing like you see on television.  “The only way to truly learn how to do the work of a real crime analyst is to earn a criminal justice degree,” says Jessica.  “What better place to start then right at your local community college, FM.  People probably have heard it over and over but there really is no better time to start your degree than now! No matter what age you are, if a degree in the criminal justice field is your goal, just do it.  Take one step, one class at a time if you have to.  The college offers small classes, excellent professors, and a great educational foundation.  Beginning your education at FM and later transferring to a four-year school also saves a great deal on tuition.  FM offers real hands-on experience and you learn from faculty who have actually done the work.  In my opinion, there’s no better start than FM.”

Amy Radik is Coordinator of Public Relations & Marketing

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.