What Hard Work and Determination Can Achieve

January 23, 2013

Mimi Eglin

Today’s high school students are taking more advanced courses early in their high school careers; therefore, leaving their senior year with a great deal of free time.  This was true for Broadalbin-Perth High School student Brittany Mullaney.  Brittany, who is currently enrolled in FM’s Early Admission program, is set to graduate from Broadalbin-Perth High School with an Advanced Regents diploma this month.  She will graduate from FM in May with an Associate of Science degree in Business Administration. Brittany’s story is one that highlights with a little hard work and drive, you can achieve greatness!

Brittany chose the Early Admission program because she wanted to challenge herself.  She states, “I only had two or three classes that I needed to complete during my senior year so I thought it would be better to come to college and start earning my degree.”  Brittany’s high school guidance counselor was the first to propose the idea of completing high school and a college degree in the same year.   “Mrs. Simonson told me that it could be done and I thought, why not!”

Brittany began her college career by taking college level courses while still in high school through FM’s College in the High School program.  She earned 13 college credits during her junior year of high school.  She then went on to earn 10 credits the summer between her junior and senior year of high school.  This past fall, Brittany really challenged herself by enrolling in 20 college credits as an Early Admission student.  She will complete the final 19 credits towards her Business Administration degree this spring.  Brittany credits her parents with her drive to complete her educational goals.  “My parents had high expectations set for me because they knew I could achieve them.”   

Brittany will transfer to The University at Albany this fall to begin both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees.  “I plan on completing both degrees in three years.  My friends think it’s crazy that I will have my master’s degree and only be 20 years old.”  She is looking forward to the internships incorporated in the degrees at U Albany to find which direction of business she wants to pursue.

If you are a high school junior who is motivated like Brittany, why not consider FM’s Early Admission Program? The program gives academically prepared high school seniors the opportunity to enroll in college courses during their senior year. Early Admit students create a schedule that best fits their needs.  There are both day and evening classes available. If you are involved with after-school high school activities, sports, clubs, or have a part-time job, your academic advisor will work with you on a schedule to make it happen!  Early Admission students take college level courses alongside traditional college students.  Our instructors prepare these students to be successful. Whether they decide to spend another year here with us at FM and earn their degree or transfer to another institution, they are prepared!

If this sounds like something you would like to hear more about, come to our Early Admission Information Session on Tuesday, February 26 on FM’s campus.  Registration begins at 6:00 p.m. with the presentation at 6:30 p.m.  Please RSVP by February 20 to 736-FMCC (3622), ext. 8301 or through our website at fmcc.edu.   Also, stop by your Guidance Office to find out when I will be visiting your high school.   

Mimi Eglin is an Admissions and Enrollment Management Assistant at FM.

This entry was posted in General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.