Make a College Education Your Goal

August 17, 2012Amy Radik

Scott Hayes, a graduate of Broadalbin-Perth High School, attended FM before joining the military. Once discharged, he decided to return to FM to continue his education and earn a degree in Computer Information Systems. “In the military I was a systems analyst and my goal was to continue with that career,” says Scott.

While at FM, Scott entered the College’s TRiO Program. TRiO is a federally funded program designed to assist qualified students to adjust to the college environment, to be successful academically, and to plan and prepare for fruitful careers or transfer to a four-year college. TRiO students can take advantage of tutoring services, assessment of study and learning skills, workshops for academic support, personal development and cultural enrichment. Students can also receive assistance with financial aid, transfer counseling, and academic advisement as well as career exploration and guidance.

Scott explains, “I read about the TRiO program while on campus one day and decided to apply. Since I was commuting each day, the TRiO lab turned out to be the perfect place for me to study and do homework. In fact, I spent so much time there I was offered a tutoring position my final two semesters. Tutoring was very helpful not only to the students I assisted, but also helpful for me; the more I tutored the more I learned the material. There were three people involved with TRiO who supported me immensely. They made me feel very comfortable while at FM, helped me to excel in my classes, and walked me through the steps in moving on to a four-year college.”

“Scott was in our very first cohort of students,” says Director of Grants and Grant Funded Programs Jean Karutis. “He is a great guy who really worked hard. He helped us out by becoming a peer tutor for TRiO, giving back and assisting other students.”

Scott said he’d be remiss not to mention the impact his professor, Frank Yunker, also made on him. “Professor Yunker has such a passion for technology. With any type of studies, you want to be intrigued by your professor; you want to look forward to going to class. Because of his teaching style, I always looked forward to attending Professor Yunker’s class. He is one of the many excellent professors FM has to offer.”

Once Scott graduated from FM, he attended University at Albany earning a B.A. in Information Science with a minor in Computer Science. Currently, Scott is a Java Applications Programmer working for the New York State Comptroller’s Office.

“My career goal of working in the IT field has been met, and I am working on reaching the new goals I have set for myself and my career which include earning a Master’s degree in IT Management and reaching a high level management position,” says Scott.

Many people are satisfied with graduating high school and entering the work force; however, Scott believes a college education should be everyone’s goal. “A college education is important because it opens opportunities for higher paying, more skilled jobs.”

Scott now resides in Woodstock, New York. He loves to run and compete in races. He has ran six marathons, the most recent being the 2010 Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C.

For further details regarding TRiO or other program offerings at FM, call the Admissions Office at (518)
736-FMCC (3622).

Amy Radik is Coordinator of Public Relations & Marketing at FM.

This entry was posted in Alumni News, General FM News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.